Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual dBase and problem with memory over 512MB thread289-1404471

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnyKing

Programmer
Apr 17, 2008
In response to the below help request, I have had VDB 7.01 on my PC for 3 years now. I upgraded my RAM from 512MB to 2GB a year ago and have not encountered any startup issues. However, I have always used an earlier patch that upgraded it from 7.0 to 7.01 - and that may be a possible solution. I still have that patch .exe if anyone is interested.

I know VDB 7.0 is buggy but I have been able to use it to punch the envelope and run circles around other program apps... patience, sleeping on it and determination have allowed me to develop some really class apps - into compiled works of art. One such package has been on the market for 5 years running now... and zero complaints...

osgen (Programmer)
2 Sep 07 7:41
This was originally sent by a certain Visual Dbase 7 programmer through Mombu Internet Forum seeking help for a solution way back 2004 but with no avail.

Another programmer wrote to Ken Mayer. But Mr. Mayer just told him to stop using Visual Dbase 7 because it is 'very buggy and crash-prone'. He advised him to upgrade to another version. No other solution was given then. In short, He doesn't know anything about visual dbase 7 patches.

The programmer's message was :

" I am experiencing a problem when I try to run Visual dBase 7 in a PC which has over 512MB memory (e.g. 1GB). It causes an error and the Visual dBase window doesn't even start. The PC has Windows XP running. I don't know if it has something to do with Windows XP, because in the
past I have installed successfully Visual dBase in PCs with Windows XP (but with memory less than 512MB). Is there something I must declare in the VDB.INI file in order to solve the problem?"

I wrote you because I am experiencing the same problem too and I'm sure thousands of programmers like me are waiting for an answer to this problem.

Allow me to talk about my own scenario:
You see, Visual Dbase 7 will be installed to a 1 GB 2.66gh Core2 CPU Server. Everything has already been set. All Database Files will be monitored by our newly hired Database Adminstrator. We have to make everything work as expected. But without the Visual Dbase 7 running, the whole System could be jeopardized. Five years have already passed and I'm sure a program patch to make Visual Dbase 7 run on a CPU with memory greater than 512MB has already been resolved. Am I right?

i'd be interested in that patch. i've got VDB 7 but have HAD to MS Access 'cause that's all i've got that'll run. Could You be so kind as to point me to where the patch may reside?
Thanks,
Dave

I installed my VDB7 onto my wife's new laptop w/2GB RAM and it works fine - as it does on my PC. I didn't run the patch on hers... so...

Not sure what the patch does. It also comes with a new help file you copy over your exiting one once the patch is run.

I can send you the patch and the help file. Run the patch then copy the help file (vdb.hlp) over the existing one via My Computer\c:\program Files\Borland\Visual dBASE\Help\ and re-boot. Just need your email...

But - because of the core load on my wife's laptop without the patch... not sure if this will help you. Are you confident your RAM type is compatible with your motherboard? Its a relevent question.

BTW - looks like I'm going to do the upgrade to dBASE Plus 2.61.5 from dBASE.com. I'm doing this because I need the dUFLP add-ons and they don't work with VDB7... You may want to check it out... great help forum too there...

My apologies for not responding sooner. Been a busy week in Mudville. Well, i built the machine myself so everything should work properly. Right now i can't get it loaded at all.
E-mail is "wreded at gimail dot af dot mil."
i'd like to upgrade to dBASE Plus but can't afford the cash they want for it. i used to pretty handy with dBASE, but have gotten all wrapped up in MS Access 'cause work provides it. i'll probably have to do some retraining so i can remember and learn the new stuff.
i've been there (dBASE.com) and looked but, without having a working copy it was pretty senseless to browse the help forum and wish.
Thanks,
Dave

I'll email you the patch exe and the .hlp file (in a zip file). Just remember after doing the patch to copy the new help file over the old one - then re-boot b/4 launching VDB7.01

BTW - I emailed DBI (dbase.com) and made a brief business case letting them know I'm building a custom app, the company won't pay for the IDE (dBASE Plus) and that I'm not sure how often I would use it in the future. I also asked them about the student version featues in terms of having a true compiler to .exe format.

They responded that they'd discount the full version for $240.00 (total price) - so I did... but I had to scan my original CD for proof of ownership. It may be worth the plunge for you. I have not regretted it. The new dBASE Plus looks exactly like VDB7.01 but more bells and whistles for today's OS, html, xml and a great SQL to boot! No regrets from me at all!!!

DonnyK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back