Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual C++ vs. Visual Basic

Status
Not open for further replies.

conor

Programmer
Apr 15, 1999
IE
I am currently doing research for a final year project in Visual C++. I would like to know if anyone would have details differences between Visual C++ and any other major programming language.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Conor.

Hi<br>
I think the main diff b/w vb and c++ is that c++ is object oriented and vb is object based. Vb does not have inheritance and polymorphism but has other oo features but it is not true oo for this reason. However, vb is a much easier language to learn as it hides all the crapie details and is event based, and is faster to develop in, and is just as powerful as c++ as it now compiles to the same code, now (since vb5/vb6). So for my money vb is a better product. So oo does not necessarily mean better which is another point to consider.

You cant work as fast and as flexible in VB, as most complex features are in C++, yer looking at Native Vs Intepretational, tho people will argue that VB is native, it's onlu 30% native, istead of leaving the code in the exe like over VB does, it compiles it to Direct DLL calls to the VB runtime dll. a slowdown, and you cant do many very complex things in VB as i am doing in VC++(inhearitance, linked list(you can but it's hell in vB), polymorphism, multithreading, pointer(and i use a huge ammount of them), etc, etc, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back