Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Basic version 6 - Invalid Row Reference error

Status
Not open for further replies.

beijc

Programmer
Oct 29, 2008
US
I'm running an application that calls a VB application. The vb app is written in version 5 in about 1998. The vb app connects to an oracle database. I'm needing to move the app to a different server and the new server is running oracle ver. 11.2. When the vb app is called it immediately gives the following error Run-time Error '440'. OIP-04108: Invalid row reference. Does anyone know what could be causing this error? I do not have the source code. I know it's successfully connecting to the database and then trying to read from a table but that's about all I know. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

If this is a VB5 application from that long ago as it sounds it is likely using RDO to talk to Oracle through some ODBC Driver. If it is using the old Oracle ODBC Driver Microsoft supplies with MDAC that could be the problem due to a poor match with your current version of Oracle.

If the program uses a DSN to define the connection paramaters it might be possible to alter the DSN to use a newer, Oracle-provided ODBC Driver. Then assuming the old RDO objects and the old VB code are compatible with that it might "magically" work.

Without full source code you are probably screwed though. The way life works is that if you do not have the source code a program's lifecycle is over as soon as it stops working. Since you have your old server where it still works you don't have a hairy emergency, just an emergency - even if fiddling with the DSN gets it going temporarily.

Time to put a team on a full reverse-engineering and rewrite. Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back