Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Basic upgrade problem with adodb, ODBC related issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard233

Programmer
Aug 14, 2012
US
Hi,
I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm writing this from home so please bear with me for the
moment that the details might be a tad vague. I'll be able to flush out the information if
I still need help in the morning.

My department has decided to change over from Sybase to MS SQL, at the same time we are
also changing the OS for the desktops from XP to Windows 7 and Visual Studio 2003? to the
most recent one 2010?

On the windows XP machines we had an ODBC connection using DNS that worked fine.
After moving a copy of the database over from Sybase to MS SQL I was able to use an ODBC connection pointed to it just fine.

However, on moving to Windows 7 and upgrading the code to the current visual studio
(with no errors reported) I started to have some difficulty. When running my code after
the SQL command is executed the program screen becomes frozen. This is for a very simple
select statement which normally returns a handful of rows.

Using MS SQL studio I'm able to directly execute the command normally, so connectivity is
not the issue. The ODBC connection I created returns success when I enter in the user and
password as used within the application, so that should not be the issue.

I tried using the test.UDL trick to extract a direct connection string to bypass the ODBC,
but the freezing issue persists. I checked it was the same string under 32 and 64 bit
too.

The code is built mostly around the use of detached ADODB recordsets.
I'm willing to change that if I have to, but its something I'd like to avoid if possible, at least for now.

If someone could suggest a way that would allow me to progress, I would appreciate very much.
Even if I end up with a work around, I'd really love to know what the heck is happening.

Thank you in advance for your time and efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back