Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Basic .NET or Visual C#

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJTech

Programmer
Jul 3, 2001
GB
We are currently reviewing our development standards. I would like to select a preferred programming language. Microsoft appears to be going towards C# as opposed to VB.

What do people think about the advantages and disadvantages of either of the above languages.

Gary
Cas-Sim Webmaster

I think MS will abandon VB over Bill's dead body. MS would be foolish to abandon their livelyhood (VB) for a new and not yet "combat" tested product.

VB has the distinct advantage of popularity.

Dimandja

SJTech -

How would you characterize the skills of your developers?

How would you describe what you intend to accomplish with .NET?

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

The differences are rather trivial now that VB has become a full-fledged OO language. In fact, they both use the FCL in the same ways, and both are compiled into the same intermediate language. Because they both BECOME the same language once compiled and run, the languages are necessarily identical from a functional standpoint.

That said you get some neat perks with C# like operator overloading and all the incrementing operators and stuff (++).

A magazine addressed this issue and found that C# developers 1. got paid more, 2. were seen as more skilled (whether deserved or not). If that's true, maybe as a manager you could pay a VB.NET developer less?

In the end no difference in code performance, In my opinion vb is more readable(most of the time), c code is more portable (if you need to compile on a variety of operating systems).

Since no performance differance i would stick with what you have been useing.

The goal of java was write once run anywhere.
The goal of .net is write anything run on windows.

if it is to be it's up to me

Dimandja said:
I think MS will abandon VB over Bill's dead body.

Yeah, and obstinance and "the old cow path" are poor reasons to do (or continue to do) anything.

If you ask experienced VB programmers, the backward compatibility of VB.NET is compromised enough that you have a learning curve anyway. I'd echo BoulderBum's recommendation to go with the more feature-rich C#.

FWIW, our VB programmers decided themselves to go the C# route. They're happy with that.

>the languages are necessarily identical from a functional standpoint

You'd think so, wouldn't you? However my understanding is that there are still things you can do in C# that you cannot do in VB.NET because of syntactical issues.

E.g. last time I looked (delegated) event handlers can return a value in C#, but they can't in VB.NET (VB.NET insists on implementing event handlers as Subs).

In other words I guess I'm agreeing that, given a completely free choice, C# may be the wiser choice

It all depends on context. Sometimes it is easier to design things in VB... sometimes C#. Everybody that works for me has to know both, because we use both. Most of our middle-tier components are designed in C# and most of our GUIs are in VB, but there are exceptions to each of those generalizations.

Again, it depends on what his developers are used to, and what they plan to do with .NET.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

I agree with chiph.

Aside from that, the typical code monkey doesn't really grok their development language anyhow. Just give them enough basic exposure to the "rules of the road" and then have them "shotgun compile" a bunch of programs until they get the feel of things.

Sad but true, many experienced coders learn to program a lot like others learn to drive around their town. Ask them a question about where something is and they can't give you a location description that makes sense when you read a map. They just know "you drive down here, turn left, go about this far until you see the WalMart, turn left on whatever that next street is called until you pass the place where the underwear factory used to be..."

Just look at typical business application code no matter whether Cobol, Java, C, or VB.

My point is that you won't have trouble getting "Joe VB" to write in C#, probably just a bit more effort than teching them VB.Net - the problem is somebody who knows VB5/6 really well. Resistance may be futile, but resist they will!

Right - you aren't going to turn a bunch of VBA developers into cutting-edge coders with trendy haircuts who can write a distributed file system on a single Post-It Note while zooming around the office on their scooters drinking double-lattes, all before lunch.

But, you can turn a bunch of VBA developers into some pretty good C# coders who are writing a system that integrates Office 2003 and provides a business automation solution that you can sell and make money on.

Chip H.

Right - you aren't going to turn a bunch of VBA developers into cutting-edge coders with trendy haircuts who can write a distributed file system on a single Post-It Note while zooming around the office on their scooters drinking double-lattes, all before lunch.
Quite right! I've never seen a cutting-edge coder with a trendy haircut.

... and after all, that's what it's all about for most of us anyway.

The making money part, sure.
:)

Chip H.
[sub]I've lost my scooter and I can't get up![/sub]

Yes indeed, scrimping as I do I stil have kids in college and a mortgage yet.

Maybe when I retire I can turn hobo, hitchike to Patagonia, and catch a tramp steamer to Australia to go prospecting. Not this week though. Maybe at age 70.

harebrain said:
FWIW, our VB programmers decided themselves to go the C# route. They're happy with that.
Of course they did. All of us VB programmers know that we are looked down on by the "real" programmers. Even adding the .Net to the end doesn't take away from the impression of VB as a toy language. I mean, after all, if a regular person can read the code, it can't be a "real" programming language:)
They jumped at the chance to get away from the stigma of VB. Our team here is also probably going to switch to C#.

<<...Even adding the .Net to the end doesn't take away from the impression of VB as a toy language. >>

And this is so ironic because C# is just thinly veiled Java anyway, which C++ programmers used to call a 'wannabe C++' language.
jsteph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back