Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Basic & Bluetooth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PockyBum522

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
US
Here's what I want to do: I carry my bluetooth enabled phone with me all the time, so if I were able to detect it, my computer could tell when I was near it or not. Useful for many things, but not if I can't use bluetooth in VB.

I've done a few days of searching, and the only things I've found are hundred dollar shareware. Not that great a deal for a simple hobby I just want to play with.

I'm using a generic usb bluetooth dongle, and I just want to search every few seconds to see if a certain MAC address is visible. I'd like any help at all anyone can offer. Thank you.

I don't wish to be rude, but it isn't our job to make your life easier. You've started a number of threads related to this and been given a reasonable amount of info that should help you on your way. If what you are looking for is a complete code solution that allows you to avoid paying $100 then I think you are on the wrong site

Oops...I'm sorry, but I think you're misunderstanding me. My other threads were relating to detecting when a piece of hardware was plugged in, and I used the bluetooth device as an example. You guys were very helpful and I got it working properly. This is related to actually using it, and if there's nothing you can tell me other than to go buy a pre-made control then just say that.

This is the first thread I've started of this nature, I know forum etiquette and that it's a bad idea to start multiple threads on the same subject and helps nobody.

Well, detecting a piece of hardware is kind of a prelude to using it. After all, one doesn't have hardware plugged into one's machine that one doesn't use. So while your distinction is reasonable, it's also reasonable not to draw it.

Regarding your "few days of searching": the first google I tried, to "vb6 bluetooth" yields a number of possible solutions, including which appears to be downloadable source code. This thread has a discussion on the matter in question.

Perhaps you found all these and they didn't live up to their promise, however.

HTH

Bob

BobRodes said:
After all, one doesn't have hardware plugged into one's machine that one doesn't use.

I bought my computer a year ago and still haven't found a use for that 3.5 floppy drive. [bigsmile]

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Is it turned on in BIOS? If you added it, it might not be. You also could have turned it off. Take a look and post back.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valued Professional (MVP)

<I bought my computer a year ago and still haven't found a use for that 3.5 floppy drive.

Be quiet, George. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back