Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Basic 6 on the web (not .NET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masali

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
SE
Is it possible to use VB-programs on the web, so you can use a standard "windows interface" to control a script (POST to script)? In that case how is it done? Both the HTML and VB-code to use would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

hello Masali,

i have experienced a similar problem a month ago. it is possible to put vb6 programs on the web. just convert your program to an ocx/dll then call it as an object in your html code. if you're familiar with macromedia flash, when you try to view the source code of the web page (when previewed), the concept to that will be similar. to get the class id of your program, look for your program's name in the registry. :)

is it possible to make a executable to a dll? isnt a dll just a library of functions and such?

Masali

What you need to do is look at the application from the Microsoft DNA method, using the 3 tiered approach.

You have a presentation layer
business logic layer
application data layer.

In this method you would treat the web side the same as your forms in vb. To do this all of the functionality of the program must be in the classes and not in the forms.

If your asking "Can I take my existing VB ap and with a little magic make it Webified?" the answer is with a lot of magic.

You will have to separte your presentation layer from the ap, and then create a dll (create a dll project then add your existing classes) to support it.
Your presentation layer now becomes your ASP or HTML files, they call the VB.DLL to do all the work.

It's a very nice method of doing things, but you have be regimented in programming it so that all of the business logic is in the business logic layer and not have any of it in your presentation layer (VB Forms or HTML Pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back