Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Basic 5 Compatibility with Windows 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denk

Programmer
Jan 4, 2000
GB
I have written a Freeware application using VB5 which has become fairly popular amongst the targeted users.<br><br>However, a number of users are reporting problems when using the program with earlier versions of Windows 95 particularly when installing the program i.e. difficulties installing DLLs.<br><br>Do VB5 programs have any compatability issues when run on earlier versions of Windows 95?

I use early Win95 as a base for a prog I distribute to to some people - on the basis that if it works there it'll work anywhere - and I haven't had troubles - what's happening? <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Denk -<br><br>What installer are you using?&nbsp;&nbsp;Nearly all of them have an option to replace files that are in use after requiring a reboot.<br><br>If this is a system DLL (like one of the MDAC or OLE DLLs), then you absolutely must compare versions before overwriting it.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you write an older version on top of a newer release of a DLL your user is going to have problems later.&nbsp;&nbsp;Don't forget that the OLE DLLs must go as a matched set, and you can't just replace one.<br><br>Chip H.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back