Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual basic 2008 - communication through Modbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toolframe

Technical User
Feb 26, 2012
BE
I have to program a Visual Basic application with a communication with a machine through Modbus.
The Machine is Modbus Master, so in Visual Basic i have a Modbus Client (TCP/IP).

I don't know how to start on these. What do I need?
So the first thing to do is to connect with a IP-adress through a modbus-protocol...

Many questions to go, but one at a time I think.

Start with sockets. First fix a comms port - make it configurable. You can guarantee that this is the first thing they'll want you to change when you use your program on site.

Have a look at for the basic UDP/TCP stuff. Do you need reliable comms? If you don't then perhaps UDP would be better. If you have stuff that keeps on changing, then perhaps UDP would be better than TCP.

Say you are monitoring a meter. The values keep on fluctuating. If comms drops then TCP will resend, UDP won't. If the values are fluctuating, then maybe you don't need to know what the previous value was and are just interested in the current value so UDP would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back