Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista won't run chkdsk

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate12345

Technical User
Oct 12, 2004
US
When I boot up the computer I get a message about how something is corrupt and chkdsk needs to be run. When I attempt to run it, it states that it cannot use the volume since it's in use so would you like to schedule it for the next startup, I press Y for yes. The next time I restart, it does not run.

I then went into task scheduler and scheduled it to run upon system startup, it also does not run then (it gives an error saying that the logon information isn't correct even though it 100% is since I've done it 10x).

Normally I would just get a boot disc, but to my knowledge vista doesn't have boot disks. I would also like to put in the os cd for some other type of help, but sony didn't include the os on a cd (I guess I have to order this?). All of my windows updates also fail to install and now (just today) the computer boots up to a blinking cursor.

Anyone have any idea on how to handle any of this (I've done several google searches and haven't found much help) vista nightmare? As soon as I resolve this I'm thinking I'm going to switch back to XP, vista has been nothing but trouble for me.

Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back