Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista won't browse network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcochran1

Technical User
Jun 25, 2004
US
Setup home network on relatives PC. Added Linksys WRT54G router. New Vista HP laptop was able to connect to wireless router and access internet.

The desktop has Win XP Home. My toshiba laptop (XP table tablet edition) was also able to connect & access the web.

By simply changing the workgroup name to match the desktop name my Toshiba could then print wirelessly thru the desktop PC. Since I was not familiar with Vista we changed both the desktop PC and my Toshiba laptop to the default workgroup name : WORKGROUP to match the HP vista laptop. Both my Toshiba and the desktop could now see the Vista machine and each other, however the vista laptop could see neither and would only list itself under the Workgroup after listing the network as private.

What do I need to do in Vista to allow it to browse the network and print wirelessly?

On your Vista machine hover the mouse over the Network icon in the Notification Area. See what is displayed as far as Network Access.

Right-click on the same Network icon and select "Network and Sharing Center". Have a look at the "View Full Map" link.

Make sure things like -

Network Discovery,
File Sharing,
Password Protected Sharing,

Have a look at this download for your XP machines.

Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)

Also accessible from the Network icon in the Notification Area is the Diagnose and Repair tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back