Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista will not shut down or suspend

Status
Not open for further replies.

LKAlbert

Technical User
Oct 30, 2001
US
If I reboot, suspend, or shut down from the start menu, it goes into a black screen. I wait and nothing happens.

When I reset or turn back on after turning it off from a shut down or reboot, I do not get the Safe Mode menu because, I presume, it failed to shut down very late in the cycle.

If I reset or Turn off after a Suspend or hibernate, I do get the Safe Mode screen.

I have tried un-installing every driver and memory resident software I can think of and nothing seems to correct this.

I am running Vista x86 on an EVGA 790i MB, EVGA graphics card, and E8500 Intel chip. Everything else seems to work well. I have 2GB RAM. I have the latest drivers for everything I have.

It reboots just fine from Safe Mode, so I am sure that SOMETHING that runs is causing the failure to shut down or suspend, I just do not know how to find out what?

Anyone have a similar experience and some good diagnostic help? Please????

Al Kolkin

it is not necessary something in the background that may be causing this, it could as well be a bad BIOS implementation, or a missing hotfix...

I would first check with the manufacturers website for a BIOS update, as that seems the most appropriate venue to go down... as there is something that rings in the back of my mind, about suspend problems and BIOS setup, I just can't get a grip on it at present, if it pops into my mind I will post it...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Try another User Logon to see if the problem is User related.

You could try the System File Checker program.

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

Have a look at Vista's Startup Repair.

See if these older articles help?

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

Resources to help troubleshoot shutdown problems in Windows XP

Shutdown Troubleshooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back