Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

4theU

Technical User
Jul 29, 2005
US
I am having a problem with a Vista machine. The short scenario, we have a Vista machine that we would like to be able to have remote access to, for testing purposes only. This machine will be for multiple users, but we dont intend on havin more than one user on at once.

Remote Desktop works perfectly, but the problem is that if User#1 is signed on and User#2 attempts to sign on it simply kicks User#1 off, no notification.

Is thier a way to prevent this, or atleast give a warning that another user is signed on and ask the wonderful "Are you sure?" question?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

that's the standard behaviour of xp, so probably haven't been fixed in vista...

could be that a higher edition will accomodate more connections

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

I can live with only connection at a time, its the fact that it just kicks off the first connection without notification that disturbs me.

Does anyone know a way to notify, something like "A User is already signed on remotely, continuing will disconnect them"

I know on XP when you attempt to sign on a machine remotely if a user is signed on locally you get a message. But in Vista it doesnt tell you when another user is signed on remotely already.

That is what happens under XP if the user about to connect is using the same credentials as the user currently logged in, it just bumps them and the 2nd user inherits their desktop and active programs.

However if the 2nd user has a different login, then, under XP, the 2nd user gets a notice that user 1 is currently logged in and asks if they want to try to connect. If they say yes then the logged in user is alerted and asked for permission to proceed.

If the logged in user says no, then the 2nd user gats a connection refused and they are disconnected.

That is the way it is supposed to work, but I have no idea about Vista.

AFAIK no version of Vista allows multiple connections. MS disabled that capability in XP for marketing reasons.

Jock

I see the behavior described by JockMullin in Vista when I use Remote Desktop.

Multiple Remote Desktop connections - second user kicks off first user
thread779-1041411

Whether the mentioned fix works in Vista (or is legal) I don't know, but the file used exists in Vista even though it is a much later version.

Concurrent Remote Desktop Sessions in Windows XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back