Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista - Network initialization Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPak

Programmer
Nov 11, 2007
AU
I use Borland C++ pro version 4.00 to build software for Windows. I have installed it successfully in 98, ME, XP, XP SP1, SP2 (with XP settings changed by technician to allow install).

I use the Paradox databases and make the programs for Local use NOT Networked application databases.

Someone is trying to run one of my programs on VISTA and get an error Message.

-----------------------------------

Network initialization Failed.
File or Directory does not exist.
FILES: C:\PDOXUSRS.NET
Permission denied.
Directory: C:\

-----------------------------------

The file PDOXUSRS.NET is on my XP SP2 computer from one of my installed programs.

VISTA:
Would this have something to do with File Security on VISTA?
I dont use Vista yet and would appreciate any help given?

Oops:-

Should be using C Builder++ Pro Version 4.

The file PDOXUSRS.NET is the network file that Paradox uses to keep track of who's in which areas of the database files. The user has to have read and write permissions for whatever area of the hard disk the file is created and stored on. I would guess that the problem you encountered is related to Vista security/user permissions.

You can change where this network lock file is by going into BDEAdmin.exe, Configuration tab, Drivers, Native, and then Paradox to change the NETDIR for where the file is kept. The BDE Admin program is often stored in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Borlan\BDE, though not always.

If a program is terminated abnormally so Paradox doesn't know to clean up that file, you should delete it manually. You might write something in the program's startup to see if the file exists and delete it if it does. This isn't something to try to delete for network database applications, and if any other application is using the same NETDIR file you won't be able to delete it.

Two other common Paradox lock file names are PDOXUSRS.LCK and PARADOX.LCK.

Lee

Thanks Lee.

I thought it would be Vista Security issues.

Did not know of the NetDir location in BDE Management.

I usually install the BDE Administrator with the application so it can be located in the Control Panel.

BPak

Feedback from user....

My suspicions were correct and that is that C: drive cannot be written to and therefore the file cannot be generated at run time.

Allan was also correct with his hypothesis Forward this email and pass on my best regards.

Tell him for his other clients that he needs to to the following as HE INSTRUCTED:

1. On VISTA navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Borland Shared\BDE and start up BDEAdmin.exe

2. Navigate to Configuration/Drivers/Native Tab

3. Highlight PARADOX and then change NET Dir from C:\ to C:\Users\<user>\Documents where user is the administrator user of the machine

4. The PDOXUSRS.NET file will be generated at run time in C:\Users\<user>\Documents and Pro.exe will open without error.

You could also do this at installation by setting up the registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\<Driver Name>\Engines\Paradox]
"ParadoxNetPath"="<NetDir Path>"

where <Driver Name> is the name of the Paradox driver, and <NetDir Path> is the path where the user has write permissions.

Lee

Thank you Lee.

I will look into that on my InstallShield Installation.

If Vista is so Security minded then from what I understand the actual Paradox Database Files themselves should not be installed under the C:\Program Files\<company name>\<prog folder>\<Database> Folder, as I believe they cannot be written to under Program Files?

Would they also need moving to the C:\Users\<user>\Documents Folder and the ALIAS set to the new location in the BDE Admin>

Curious?

BPak

I haven't worked with Vista, so don't have the answer to your question.

My experience is with client-server applications using Paradox over a network and know that users need write permissions for the folders/directories that the database files are in. You'll probably find that the database directory will end up holding the other lock files I referred to. Changing the alias to a directory that the user has permissions to write to would probably be wise, and that could be done in the registry, too.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back