Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista laptop cannot log on to the domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakenjod

MIS
Jun 30, 2003
US
Hi...I am not sure what is going on here but I have a user that has a laptop with Vista Business on it. It is joined to our domain...and in the past when he has been on site he has been able to log on with no problem. Last week he came in and it would not allow him to log in...it gives an error that the trust relationship between this computer and domain has failed. I can log in as the administrator to the domain with no problem but no matter what I do I cannot get him logged in to the domain so that he can get to his email, documents, etc. Any help to lead me in the right direction?
Thank you!!

Remove and re-add to the domain... make sure that you have a local admin account handy to do this work, and make sure you do it in two steps: Remove - restart - re-add, 'cos the network won't do it all at once.

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

Whoops! Superprutser is prolly right... missed that he could log in as Domain admin. My bad!

"No star for me!"

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

You can also start a command window and do a 'gpupdate /force'. we have found that sometimes that will refresh the domain policies and will fix weird problems like this.

Sounds like the secure channel passwords between the domain and the Vista client have got out of sync. How long was the laptop 'away' from the domain for?? If I remember correctly the 2 get out of sync if the laptop has not logged into the domain for 30 days.

Either way there are 2 ways to fix it, drop the machine out of the domain and add it back in or use netdom.exe to reset the secure channel.

This;
Netdom.exe
For each member, there is a discrete communication channel (the security channel) with a domain controller. The security channel is used by the Netlogon service on the member and on the domain controller to communicate. Netdom makes it possible to reset the security channel of the member. You can reset the member security channel by using the following command:
netdom reset 'machinename' /domain:'domainname
where 'machinename' = the local computer name and 'domainname' = the domain where the computer/machine account is stored.

Suppose you have a domain member named DOMAINMEMBER in a domain called MYDOMAIN. You can reset the member security channel by using the following command:
netdom reset domainmember /domain:mydomain
You can run this command on the member DOMAINMEMBER or on any other member or domain controller of the domain, provided that you are logged on with an account that has administrator access to DOMAINMEMBER.

From here;

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back