Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista install expecting drivers CD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDM8

IS-IT--Management
Aug 25, 2011
US
I "scrubbed" a Inspiron 1525 laptop and am reinstalling Vista from 4 CD disks. All went well, Product key accepted, files copied from all 4 CDs and then the message that said 98% of files copied and CD 5 was requested to load drivers.

I have no CD 5 or driver CD so I downloaded the drivers from Dell onto a CD and tried that. The install said it saw no driver files and made the same request for a CD 5 or a driver CD. I have tried a number of variations with the same result. I cannot get the install to go forward with the idea of loading the drivers later as I usually do with a XP install.

Is there a certain format the install is expecting? If so, how do I get these drivers into that format?

Is there something else I can try?

You can try contacting Dell, and give them the service tag number, Normally they will over night a disk set if you haven't requested one before, just tell them you had to replace the hard drive. If your nice about it they won't even charge you shipping.

Thanks. I will try it.

it may be just simply checking the CD name, or a file on the CD, to determine that it is the Driver CD...

so take a look at the install CD through CD 4 to see what they are called and inspect their root directory for file names that are similar named, may be just a simple file called CD4, CD3 etc...

but definitely contact Dell, they may be better suited to answer that question though...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Dell's (non) response was disappointing. They want my friend, the owner of the computer, to buy a new "warranty" before they will answer the question.

From the place in the installation where the CD 5 or driver is requested, I can browse to the folder containing the drivers downloaded from dell, on either a CD or a flash drive. The "list" that is returned is empty and there is a statement that there are no driver files of the proper type. There are actually 14 drivers and they are all .exe files. I am not aware of any other file type(s) for drivers. Are there 1 or more that I am missing?

Will the supplied Product Key work with another (Retail) Vista DVD if you can borrow one? After that the missing drivers from Dell should be able to installed the old fashioned way.

Perhaps you could consider skipping Vista altogether and going straight to Windows 7 after purchasing it?

That worked! The borrowed DVD worked with the Product Key and did not stop. The downloaded Dell drivers installed just fine after the installation.

BTW, if it were my choice I would move to Win 7. I am not a fan of Vista to begin with.

Thanks

Just in case you run into this issue again, the Disc wasn't looking for .exe files and it will not see them as usable. You would have needed to extract the .exe files with something like 7zip or WinRAR.

Aware this issue was solved and glad he had access to another Vista DVD, but for those who don't have that luxury, make sure to do as stated above.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back