Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulesBirch

Technical User
Apr 20, 2002
GB
Hi All

I need to buy a laptop with Vista installed on it. It must be able to connect to a NetWare 5.1 SBS Server.

Questions are which version of Vista do I need to get and will it work with NetWare client V4.83 or 4.91.

Thanks

Jules

I believe that there is a beta client out there and checking on there would appear to be a disguised download.

If you type "novell client vista" into the keyword search, you come up with two options. See if they help.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

First of all the 4.8 or 4.91 client will not work on Vista. They only work on W2K and XP.

There is a Vista client beta that is partially functional, but I've also heard that Windows Vista rejects it as malware. So good luck until Novell releases something official.

In the meantime, upgrade your server to OES and start using CIFS to access files etc. You don't need to Novell client to do that and it works natively on Windows. You're trying to connect something released in 2007 to a server that was released about 8 years ago. And all the while, MS is doing everything they can to make them not compatible.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

To finish Marv's last sentence:
"...in spite of the recent collaboration and interoperabilty agreements between MS and Novell."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back