Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista - Autoupdate yes or No

Status
Not open for further replies.

colezpapa3

Programmer
Dec 8, 2007
US
Question to all who use Vista. As for the automatic updates.
Do you set them up to auto update or do you manually handle it. I had an issue last month, where the update was in some sort of loop between configuring the updates and rebooting. It was impossible to break out of it. I did not have a restore point...so it rendered my machine useless.
I ended up reinstalling Vista. Luckily I have a Western Digital backup drive which was sensational.

Hm, wrong group I guess (Vista...?), but yeah, turn on automatic updates, its the safest bet these days.

Your update woes probably have a specific KB-id that you had it fail on? a Google search should help to get a cause and probably a solution, as a lot of ppl have the updates enabled, and there will be someone with the same issues...
Having Vista SP1 improves the Automatic Updates, as it has become more stable on all my systems after I upgraded to SP1.

HTH
TonHu

I prefer to be advised when updates are available but to download and install them myself, so the option I have set for Automatic Updates, in all operating systems is "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

If you have several machines at Home, you can also manually download updates from the Microsoft Update Catalog at which will give you the option to save the updates for later use or manual installs on other machines. Of course you still need to allow Windows to scan your machine so you know what updates go on what machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back