Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visoneer 5300 One Touch scanner not working with Win 2000 professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbnak1

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
Can someone PLEASE help me!!!??? I have a Visioneer 5300 One Touch scanner that came with my computer in a computer pakage deal approx. 4 years ago. At that time I had Win 98 as the computers' OS.

A couple of months ago I upgraded from Win 98 to Win 2000 professional and as a result I had to re-install the drivers. First I installed the driver that came with the scanner(version 5.3), then I went to the Visioneer website and downloaded the driver updates, the lastest version of version 5.3 and then version 5.3usb, which was a patch.

After the drivers were installed I opened up the PaperPort software (software for the scanner) and it immediately told me that that the scanner my not work on my OS. I continued with the program and tried to scan a pic as a test and nothing happened.

I then went back the Visioneer website and download the next and the last driver update which was an update for a version 6.3 ONLY. This time when I started the PaperPort software I got the same OS version message, but when I tried the scan or preview a pic my scanner worked, but the image that appeared was an image that could not be used as the colors were way off. It almost looked like the colors were "inverted".

I tried so many different things from troubleshoting to website tech help (which is terrible).

Does anybody have any ideas or comments for me to help me get my scanner working again, or is it a lost cause?

Thank you in advance,
Sbnak1

Howdy:

Not sure if this was the driver you tryed, but here is the link...

ftp://support.visioneer.com/ftp/updatesoft/5300u.exe

Now, totally remove the scanner and all related programs from your system.. Uninstall everything connected with it.

Once done, shutdown totally and disconnect the scanner. Now, reboot. Once Windows is running, load the drivers and operating programs. DO NOT PLUG IN THE SCANNER !!!!

Once all drivers and programs have been loaded, shutdown the systemn again. Now, plug the scanner back in and reboot. Windows should find it and the drivers.

Murray

SESaskDFC,

I tried everything that you told me to try, and still nothing. I removed al old drivers and operating programs relating to this issue from my CPU, shut down my CPU, re-started and re-installed the operating program and installed the driver that you recomended, shut shut down my CPU again, plugged in my scanner, & restarted my CPU.

At this point my CPU tries to connect the scanner and it stas that it has FAILED. When I right click on the task bar icon, and then hit about it states "No scanner was detected".

And, when I run the op. program I still get that OS incompatiblity message. And when I run a test scan of a pic the scanner runs, but the pic quality is the same as stated before.

What do you think?

Thanks
Sbnak1

Personally, right about now I would be contacting their helpdesk and having them find the solution.. You have done all you can..

Murray

Same problem with my original Visioneer one-touch scanner. Worked fine on Win98. I reformatted my HD and installed Win2K. Now the scanner will not work. I've read similar postings on several newsgroups. I emailed their support address and received a reply that they would not be writing an updated driver. (Could it be to encourage us to buy new, bright, shiny ones from them?) Frankly, nothing turns me off quicker than this type of poor support. I would run, not walk, to another product! Luckily, my wife's computer is still on Win98 and I have installed the scanner to her computer for the few occasions when I need to use it. Incidentally, there is a program that permits you to install a Win98 partition and then use Win98 programs that are not compatable with Win2K, but I haven't used it and don't know its name or its suitability for this sort of application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back