Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visited Links

Status
Not open for further replies.

DotNetDunce

Programmer
Aug 23, 2001
US
I think I already know the answer to this question, but a customer of mine seems not to be able to accept "No" as an answer so here goes.

I have a website that is basically a bulletin board type site. As you are browsing the site the links to the posts change colors once they are visited. Is there any way to set the status of these links back to "unvisited" when the user closes their browser other than to dump their history cache or only dump the part of the history associated with this one website?

Thanks for your help!

The color of the visited links is controlled by the browser rather than by the web server so ASP is not really a technology that can help with this problem.

That said, I believe you can use Cascading Style Sheets to specify the preferred color of links and visited lins, so perhaps you could specify the same color for both.

The color of the links isn't entirely under your control. You can specify them in the HTML or in the CSS as suggested, but my user side CSS sheet can trump yours.

Users typically don't want those reset in my opinion. For a larger site like this one, users want to know where they have been and what they have looked at rather than having the threads and links reset to a trackless wilderness on each subsequent visit. It helps people find stuff again.

Thank you for your replies. You have verified my information and hopefully this will help to convince my customer of my arguments.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back