Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vision FS Printer Ownt work after Power failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zathros

MIS
Dec 29, 2000
US
We had a bad power failure a few weeks ago and on of my printers attached to a pc and printed to via visionfs no longer will print using visionfs. It prints fine from the machine itself. I've removed it, reinstalled it, renamed it. Tried everything I can think of and it wont work. I get no print error messages.

It's an hplaserjet attachd via usb.

Where else should I look?

Try running the print command and see if there is an error. Something like this:

# /usr/vision/bin/visionfs print //pcname --password

This is the minimal command, which should give you a list of shared printers. If the PC requires authentication, then do this instead:

# /usr/vision/bin/visionfs print //pcname --username pcuserid --password pcuserpwd

(That's all one line.)

These are the basic commands being run from the printer interface script, but the output is normally discarded so you can't see the error.

There are several reasons for this to fail. Let's see what results you get from these commands.

Also, see if the SCO box can locate the PC by name:

# /usr/vision/bin/visionfs nameinfo --all

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

visionFS relies on windows naming to work and there may be bad data in your WINS on the window side or in visionFS.

Restart the visionFS service and look on the windows side at whatever box is running WINS or DNS.

Probably have some old or bad data due to the powerloss.

A reboot of those servers may fix it.

Let us know resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back