Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visio .NET Enterprise Arch. 2003 open error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPuller

Technical User
Jun 5, 2001
US
I recently installed Visio .NET Enterprise Architect 2003 along with .NET Enterprise Architect 2003. This seems to have been a mistake as I can no longer open Visio. When I try to open Visio I get a progress bar saying "Please wait while visio updates it's directory cache" Then I get a message box which says "Microsoft Visio has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". This message box also gives me the opportunity to either send or not send an error report to microsoft. I've sent a couple with no apparent reply. The message box also lets me preview the error report. This displays a message which has more error information. I have actually found a fix for Visio 2002 for this error - 'Mod Name sg.dll, offset 00036e8f'. I am supposed to re-install MDAC 2.7 and a service pack (3) for Jet 4.0 and uninstall Visio and re-install Visio. all of which I did to no avail. If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I would like to get Visio working again soon!

The link is not working anymore and i have the same problem. Please help me to solve the problem,I have tried everything.

Thank you in advance

I had this problem several months ago and just used Visio on another machine. Then, last week, forgetting I had this problem, I used Visio for a couple of days without a problem. Then, two days ago, I ran the Visio UML reverse engineer tool from Visual Studio 2003, and the problem started up again. It has something to do with Visual Studio, I think? I am using Visio 2003 for Enterprise Architects. I will post a message on the thread if I figure it out. By the way, have any of you figured out the problem yet?

Ken Fitzpatrick

I fixed it! I was digging around the registry and the visio directory looking for anything to pop out. The problem occurs when the directory caching is done and visio is starting up, so I thought it was some kind of setting. Looking in the Visio directory, there is a file called Visio.pip. Which, according to windows, is a office setting file. I opened it in notepad and it looked like garbage, so I deleted the file and restarted Visio. This time, when the directory caching was done, the windows installer ran and installed a few things and Visio started up just fine. There is now a new Visio.Pip file in the visio10 directory.

So that's it. Just delete the Visio.pip file and it may work. I hope this will work for you guys.

Ken Fitzpatrick

After the installation of Microsoft Visio Professional 2002 SR1, I had the same problem at startup ('Mod Name sg.dll, offset 00036e8f').

So here is the solution that worked for me:

At the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Visio\Addins\VisioSGIX.Manager
you have to change the value "LoadBehavior" from 3 to 0.

After this change, Visio starts without crashing. But I have no idea if this could affect some other functionallities of Visio.

Greetz
Rolfi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back