Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visio diagrams in my Intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

moram

Technical User
Jan 25, 2000
US
I currently save my Visio diagrams down as jpegs for display in my intranet site. I would like to use the actual .vsd from within FrontPage for the functionality. If it ain't broken, play with it till it breaks.

There is a Visio Viewer Web Component now available, though I haven't tried it yet (see It would require that your intranet users standardize on Internet Explorer (5 or above). VML (Vector Markup Language) and PDF (Portable Document Format - Adobe Acrobat) formats are also good options for publishing scalable versions of Visio drawings on an intranet site (
Paul

How would I get the Visio diagram in to the intranet site. If it ain't broken, play with it till it breaks.

This depends somewhat on which option you choose...

Visio Viewer Option: If you decided to use the Visio Viewer Web Component, I suspect that you would just move/copy your .vsd files to a designated folder within your intranet site in much the same way as you are saving your .jpg files now. You might then create a simple HTML menu (using FrontPage for instance) which contained hyperlinks directly to the .vsd files.

VML Option: Visio 2000 or 2002 Professional will create VML versions of your diagrams with supporting HTML and JavaScript. You would open a given diagram in Visio and Save As a Web Page (*.htm; *.html), then in the Format Options select VML as the primary output type. Warning: This creates a lot of files and it can be confusing until you gain some experience with how it works. The resulting HTML and JavaScript code can be modified to suit your needs.

PDF Option: You would have to purchase at least one copy of the Adobe Acrobat full version, but creating PDF versions of your Visio diagrams is as easy as printing them. Your users would only need to install the free Acrobat reader. As with the Visio Viewer Option, you would then create a simple HTML menu which contained hyperlinks to the .pdf files.

I guess the major difference between any of these options and using JPEG's is that you can't include your diagrams "inline" within a web page. You could however create thumbnail versions of your diagrams (JPEG or GIF) and insert them within your pages as the hyperlinks to your scalable versions.

I hope this helps,

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back