Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visio Add-ON

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH64Armament

Vendor
Sep 5, 2008
US
10-15 years ago, I had an application that would diagram the network and put everything into visio for me. Unfortunately, that app was discontinued by its manufacturer and the laptop that it was on is no longer alive.

I think the app was from solarwinds, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have a recommendation for such an application?

That brings back memories. Indeed, before Microsoft bought Visio, the pro version included a built-in network mapper. Can't remember why Microsoft chose to strip it out.

As for your question - SolarWinds still do a product that maps your network and can then export into Visio - Network Topology Mapper - but it isn't cheap ...

What is the input information?

The current Viso version has "Data Visualizer" that allows for Excel or other data to be transformed into various charts.

It's pretty cool actually.

[mintjulep][What is the input information?]
I'm looking to map network topology. Something that can scan the network and map the connections from switches to other switches, routers, firewalls, etc.

Right now, I am simply dropping the shapes onto the screen and manually making the connections. I color code them by type of connection - Yellow = SM fiber, Orange = MM Fiber, Blue = Copper, Red = connection to WAN.
Along with this, I'm adding the info from the switch - model, IP address, etc.

This is pretty time consuming and nobody seems to like to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back