Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visio 2000 startup errors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cschock

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
I have just installed Visio 2000 on a Dell laptop running W2K Pro. When Visio is started it will error and stop.
I get the following event logs Source: DrWatson, Event ID: 4097, Description: The application,. generated an application error The error occured on (date) The exception generated was c00000005 at address 0231CE36 (WindowsSwapSdmParent). I also get the following: Source: MsiInstaller, Event ID 1015, Description: Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0.

Both of these are related to Visio. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I just loaded Visio 2002 pro on my Win XP laptop. I am getting this same errors. Did you find a fix?

Thank You

Hi mtbiker, I found out that there is a fixed release of Visio 2000 and 2002. On the 2000 version you have to order the CD. With the 2002 version you can download the fixes/patches from Microsoft. I just installed the 2002 version with fixes/patches instead of waiting for the CD from Microsoft. (The end-user had to get a project done right-away, you know how that is). If I can be any help let me know.CS.

cschock,

I have not "found" this fix you are referring to. I have already installed SP1, but don't see anything else for Visio 2002.

Below is the info from my Event Viewer. I have not found any info on this. Only that every time I start VISIO I get this Warning in my event viewer.

----------------------------

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1015
Date: 1/9/2003
Time: 10:04:26 AM
User: N/A
Computer: BILLS
Description:
Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0
----------------------------

Just after this warning is another entry in the Event Log stating that the installation was complete.? Not sure what is going on with any installation upon entry of program. The program seems to function ok, so I usually just ignor it. Can you give me a link to check out this fix you mentioned.

Thank You [bigglasses]

Hi again mtbiker,

I am working onfinding those links,

Have you tried to install this on any other machines to see if you get the same errors? (Just for testing purposes only).

I would like to see if any other machines get this same error.

Let me know.
CS.

I don't have another XP machine to try and install. I do have an 2000 Compaq desktop and a Dell Inspiron 7500 w/ 2000 pro. I will try installing on one of these.

Maybe could have something to do with user profiles?

[bigglasses]

Hi Guys-

I am also getting the "Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0" in my eventviewer after starting Visio Professional 2002 SR-1.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Dave

I haven't had a chance to work on this problem in a while. MY Laptop bit the dust, so I've been waiting for DELL to send my replacement. Just came today, going to let it warm up a bit before I start loading software.

MSI often updates the install for each user at startup - it's worth checking that the user has read access to the install folder on the server, and can access it from their account.

Hi All,

I have just had this problem with my system (Win 2K, Visio 2002), I followed a Microsoft Technet note and it did not work.

However I then Removed Visio, Rebooted the PC and reinstalled it and now it is fine. I susspect that the Technet had something to do with it so here is the reference

Hope it is of use, and good luck.

Kind Regards, Paul Benn

**** Never Giveup, keep trying, the answer is out there!!! ****

I was running into the same problem, I had just installed Microsoft Visio 2000 and I could launch the application, but as soon as I opened a file with it, I'd get a "Visio32.exe has generated errors..." message and the application would terminate. After trying many possible fixes (and at least 4 uninstalls/reinstalls) I found a message on one of the microsoft message boards:

I had also just installed Office 2000 Pro, and had not yet launched any of the applications. Once I launched Word and accepted the EULA, I could successfully launch Visio with no problems. Hopefully someone else will find this helpful as well.

Best of luck! Brian

I'm having an issue like this big time. When I startup Visio2002 (on win2k with office 2000 installed) it takes almost 2 minutes to come up (on a P4 2.ghz machine).

In the event viewer I see:

Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0.

for each Visio startup (it occurs when visio actually starts).

This is a company laptop and came with visio 2002 SR-1 installed, I uninstalled it and installed visio 2002 myself. Both have same symptom.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
Frank

I had the same problem on Windows XP Pro after I pushed out some Office XP Service Packs via SMS. Ironically, Microsoft has a Knowledgebase article addressing this problem.

The article points to another article that involves increasing the size of the application event log.

Unfortunately, applying the recommended fix did NOT remove the error, so I am at a loss.

In any event, here is the article that directly addresses this error:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back