Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

visibility:hidden doesn't work on applet in IE9

Status
Not open for further replies.

XgrinderX

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
I have an applet that opens within a frame inside a div that overlays my main page. When the user clicks the close button, it hides the div including the applet using the following CSS:

display: none;
visibility: hidden;

This works everywhere except IE9. Anyone have any ideas why or how I can easily work around this?

Isn't this redundant? Why make it hidden if it is not displayed in the first place?

There's also got to be an easier way to accomplish the effect of a "frame inside a div overlaying" a page. Do you have an example URL?

-Geates

"I hope I can chill and see the change - stop the bleed inside and feel again. Cut the chain of lies you've been feeding my veins; I've got nothing to say to you!"
-Infected Mushroom

"I do not offer answers, only considerations."
- Geates's Disclaimer

Apologies for the delay in my response, I figured out a fix shortly after I posted this and only today found the email notification in my spam folder.

Just in case any one else has this issue, I solved the problem by first sending the applet frame to a blank.htm page, then setting the CSS to none and hidden. This solved the problem.

I don't understand your redundancy question, I probably did not explain myself very well. I have a list of results of TIFF images. When a user clicks to view one of the images, it "opens" (visibility:show, display:inline) a div with a frame that contains an applet which displays the image to the user. There are some nav buttons at the top for selecting previous and next images and also a Close button to make the div go away. When the user clicks Close, it then hides the div with CSS visibility:hidden and display:none. This works in every browser I tested except IE9.

In IE9, the applet basically would stay on the screen even after the div that holds it was hidden. You could get around it by clicking anywhere within the background page and then the applet would go away. To fix I simply now load a blank.htm page into the applet frame before setting the CSS visibility and display parameters for hiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back