Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virusupdate on Notebook, best way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschons

Technical User
Sep 24, 2002
CH
Hello

I'm using the ePolicy Orchestrator 3.0.2 and on the workstations/notebook VirusScan Enterprise 7.1. When the notebook are in the domain, they get the newest dat version from my epo server. Where can I configure the AutoUpdate Option on the client? I would like, that if the notebook is not in the domain, the notebook will check at startup, if there is a new version. I can configure this manually on the client, but I don't know how to do it over the epo. Does anybody konw?
Thanks for the help.
tschons

I'm assuming that when the laptops are not on the domain, they might be somewhere else with internet access, you can set the nai ftp site as the backup to your epo server so that when it can't find the epo server it will download updates from mcafee directly so that the laptops will remain up todate no matter where they are.

Thats what I already made. I can make manuelly an update even when the notebook is not at the domain. But I would like to schedule the update "at system startup". On default it is to "weekly 17:00". How can I make this changes over the epo?

In the ePO console, find your virus scan update task, and you can make the change at the workstation, group, or directory level. edit your update task, and change the schedule from what you have it set as to system startup.

My company has a lot of traveling users. I've got NAIHTTP as one of the update sites along with the in-company repositories. I've got it set to use ping time as the determining factor on where the client updates from. Since the task has been pushed out to the client computer, it runs regardless of whether it's connected to the domain or not.

The problem with updating at startup, is that most of the time the laptop does not have a working link to the internet or to the company to find the updates.
You can solve this in two ways.
One way is that you create a script which runs locally on the laptop and activates a filecopy to a local source.
Then you can configure EPO to update at startup and create a local repository.

Another way is to configure EPO like you normally do and trigger your update task not at startup,but to run it at dialup and use the NAI FTP or HTTP sites as central repository. When a pc makes a connection to work or to the internet, the update task will start to run.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back