Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VirusScan problems on Win9.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellens

IS-IT--Management
Oct 26, 2001
US
Installed VirusScan 4.5 with 4.0.50 engine on several Win98 computers, and one box with ME. I also installed the superdat exe of versions 4162 and above. I am getting the "blue screen of agony and defeat" in different situations (computer doesn't crash, but it asks you to hit any key to continue, or Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart)

On the ME computer, I get this at every bootup when the McAfee screen appears. I get this in some of the 98 machines, but not all. On one 98 box, I get the screen when clicking on any link in both IE and Netscape. It happens on another 98 computer during a Peachtree update.

Any solutions?

I have seen this problem especially with McAfee 4.5. You need to install the service pack 1 for McAfee VirusScan version 4.5. You should be able to still download it from their web site.

Also, if there was a previous version of McAfee VirusScan already installed when you installed 4.5, it can cause the BSOD. To remedy this situation, bring up Windows in Safe Mode, uninstall McAfee VirusScan 4.5, and then reboot the PC. Bring Windows up normally. After Windows loads, make sure no other program is loaded including anything in the task bar. If this PC has SQL 7.0 installed, you will need to edit the Autoexec.bat file and REM out the path statement as that causes installation errors. If you edit the Autoexec.bat file, make sure you reboot before continuing.

Then start the install program for McAfee again. Even though it asks you to restart once the install program is finished, do not reboot. Instead install the service pack 1. Once service pack 1 is installed, then reboot the PC before adding any super dats.

According to McAfee's web board, many people are having problems with super DAT 4163 and also with the new virus engine 4.1.50. I would suggest running the super DAT 4162 and then only doing the incremental DATs instead of the super DAT. That way you don't end up running the new virus engine on a Win9x platform.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Hellens
If this is happening when Windows starts up check what is trying to load at the time of crash (Dr Watson may help). I had this problem on one W98 PC only and traced it to the exact point at which the McAfee console was loading. Vshield loads first then the McAfee Console. I had to disable the Console from running at startup and whenever I need it, I start it manually from Start/Programs.
Removing the Console from startup is not easy because it starts from the registry. If you can get your PC running, even in Safe Mode, start the Console, go to the View menu item and uncheck 'Load at startup'. Unfortunately, if this works you will have to do your Scans and Dat updates manually from now on.
Cazulp

VirusScan 4.5 (even with SP1), is not fully compatible with ME. Make sure you have VirusScan 4.5.1 w/ SP1. Also, don't restart even if it asks you. Update it immediately to the latest engine and dat files. Doesn't hurt.

AVChap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back