Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VirusScan 8 won't update

Status
Not open for further replies.

brent123

MIS
Mar 21, 2006
US
When I try to update the DATs, manually or automatically, it fails. When I look in event viewer it shows a McLogEvent Event ID 258 "The update failed; see event log". Why won't the software update?

Thanks,
BRENT

Several things I've seen at my office could cause DAT updates to fail. Maybe one of them will apply to you?

1) If the system detects a mismatch of what it believes is installed versus what files are actually installed, the update may not run. For example, the registry may say you have DAT 4899 installed, but if the files are DAT 4910, then AutoUpdate would fail. I've seen this on some of the PCs here. To resolve this, I usually download the latest SuperDAT file (Eg. SDAT4961.exe) and then run that with the /F switch to force the install. The logs will indicate the files will be replaced after a reboot, which I perform. The next day when the updates run, it'll usually work fine.

2) Sometimes I've seen the McScript_InUse process running on a PC and never stop. This prevents the DAT updates from running. Usually a reboot flushes out the stuck process and DAT updates start working again. I've tried killing the process remotely using PSKILL, but I find it usually doesn't work for me. Only a reboot fixes it for me.

3) I've seen some cases where the system runs low on Virtual Memory. After the user gets that pop up, I find the updates stop working. A reboot usually fixes it.

4) Our Veritas NetBackup system sometimes creates temp files that consumes the free disk space on our PCs and doesn't flush itself out. Once we free up the disk space, then updates work fine again.

5) I've seen on very rare occasions where VirusScan is not able to find a repository even though it is clearly shown in VirusScan and managed by ePO. The onyl way to get around this was to remove and reinstall the ePO Agent.

So these are some of the common things I've seen here at my office. Hopefully one of them may help you out in your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back