Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadd

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2004
US
I am getting phones calls from people saying that my staff are sending viruses to them thru email. I am running Trend on my servers and I do not have any viruses on my servers. Can anyone help out on what might be going on??

Thanks,
Chad

As has been posted here so many time, you are victiom of spoofed email.
A virus sends out an email, as if it were coming from you., it is a simple as that and there is nothing you can do about it.
Just inform thos people contacting you to check the headers of the received email, then they will see it is not coming from you (you better hope that!).

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

I too had this happening. I probably still do. I was told that spammers are spoofing my domain name and attaching a bogus username to the front of it. I too use Trend and have no viruses on my servers. I was told to change my domain name and email addresses. This is probably not going to happen. I don't think that it can be stopped. I am sure there is someone out there that knows what can be done better than me, but I do understand what you are going through. I keep getting the NDR's for all of these emails that don't get to anyone, and it is such a mess.

About the NDR's, make very very sure you DISABLE all NDR's and automatic replies to the internet yourself, as all you do with thm is confirm the existance of the server and possibly re-spread the virus and your e-mail address(es).

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

If you disable replies to the internet does that stop out of office notifications being sent if a user sets one up in Outlook?

Yes, and it should!
I know some people still 'want' or 'need' that, but it contributes to the problem, so, it is a choice you need to make.

Marc
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back