Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewistopher

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2003
US
I have a remote user, located about 1.5 hours away from me. His box is an ECS K7S5A, Athlon XP 2400+, 256 mb DDR, 30 GB HD, and a cd-rom and a video card. He's a subscriber to Bellsouth FastAccess DSL, and occasionally gets kicked off there and the "internet doesn't work." I finally typed out a set of instructions for him to get connected back up, so I wouldn't have to go there every time there was this problem.

But, here's another. Back on 8/4, he told me that his computer was freezing up at random while he was working - in word, IE, quicken, etc. I was not able to make it up to his location until 8/6, at which time I ran a battery of burin-in tests, etc, and I could not make the thing freeze up.

Then, on 9/1, it was freezing up again. I suggested taking the side off the box, and vacuuming the whole box out to make sure it's clean. It didn't freeze up anymore until...

Yesterday was 10/1, and, I now have a voicemail complaining of freezing up again! My next guess is to make sure the processor is seated right - but it still doesn't explain why there is only an overheating/freeze-up problem at the beginning of the month! Is this a virus? I have AVG from Grisoft and it has worked well, catching a few things, but I am about ready to put Norton on it just to test it out. Any ideas?

Try at least two of smah's list, Panda and Trend Micro Housecall would be what I would pick faq760-3862

Good idea...I will have the user scan the machine and see what happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back