Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus/worm infection corrupted WINXP registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT004691

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
GB
My brother opened an email containing a worm. The worm infected the registry by 'forcing' him to try an install ALSYS.EXE. I looked this up on the net and found that this exe looks at your contacts and emails itself to all your contacts putting them in the same boat (unles they have decent anti-virus software).

To try an elimate the problem I started the PC in "SAFE MODE" and tried to disable WINCOM32.EXE (which I believe was causing the problem). This didnt work because at startup the PC enabled WINCOM32 again.

I used the XP Recovery console to disable WINCOM32, but again at startup it was enabled again.

I decided to accept the virus and then remove it afterwards, but then the PC kept rebooting after logon regardless of which mode I am in.

I tried to reinstall XP (using another XP disc as he cant find his one) to reset the registry. Unfortunately at logon the PC reboots itself saying the XP disc is incorrect.

I have managed to install another version of XP in directory C:\WINDOW2, to enable him to save any data he wanted as the new User created can see previous files.

Without saying format a 70GB harddrive, can anyone suggest a new course of action to 'save' the original version of XP on the PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back