Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus(s) Detected by Nod32

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuckoo4

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
US
Hi:

Never had a clue as to what to do about virus protection. Nod32 has detected the following four problems. There was no option to delete the infected files, so I don't know if that's my job to delete them, or IF I should even delete them.

If I delete them, will is chop & screw my system? Would restoring my settings back a couple of days via Windows XP restore fix the problem?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{A2578CBA-012A-4EE9-9E3D-27D3F494A2B6}\RP3\A0000770.exe (nod32 color: red)
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{A2578CBA-012A-4EE9-9E3D-27D3F494A2B6}\RP3\A0000770.exe (nod32 color: brown)
File D:\I386\Apps\APP12313\src\CompaqPresario_Spring06. exe
File D:\I386\Apps\APP12313\src\HPPavillion_Spring06.exe

...a variant of Win32/AdInstaller

MT

I would also check it with some other virus scanners just to make sure.

Webroot Spysweeper

Download it here:

Webroot Spysweeper 14 day Trial

Update the defs and do a sweep.

Also check this out:

Ewido download:

Update it and run a complete scan.

Check out this nice product:

Super Antispyware

Update it and run and run a complete scan.

The two relating to the SystemRestore folder can be cleared (more than likely) by simply turning off System Restore, re-starting the computer, turning SR back on and then re-starting the computer again and creating a new "restore" point.

The remaining two I would submit to Jotti's Online Scanner:

to see what that has to say about them.

I use NOD32, also, but I'm not getting those alerts (so it's not an update false-positive issue unless you're running seriously behind on either the engine or the definitions for NOD32).

Here's the info on my copy (WinXP Pro system):

NOD32 antivirus system information
Virus signature database version: 1.1591 (20060610)
Dated: Saturday, June 10, 2006
Virus signature database build: 7447

Information on other scanner support parts
Advanced heuristics module version: 1.031 (20060606)
Advanced heuristics module build: 1115
Internet filter version: 1.002 (20040708)
Internet filter build: 1013
Archive support module version: 1.045 (20060524)
Archive support module build version: 1159

Information about installed components
NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/x64 - Base
Version: 2.51.26
NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/x64 - Internet support
NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/x64 - Standard component

Operating system information
Platform: Windows XP
Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Version of common control components: 5.82.2900
RAM: 1024 MB
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (1325 MHz)

Does your info look similar to that? Pete

I am far from being anything to a security professional, but recently I had the same thing happen (for the first two files you listed). I was running NOD32 and it found the exact same thing in the exact same place with the same options that you said. Since I could not delete them through NOD32, I manually went in and deleted them but within a couple of minutes they were replaced. I finally renamed them and that worked, I have no idea why though.

I should tell you, although I can't remember if it was before or after I found the files you found, I had a huge system crash. I assume from some sort of virus or malware, but something messed with my registry hives, and a few of my system files. I couldn't login or do anything. Eventually I got to a place where I could get my data back, but I ended up re-installing the OS. So, I'm not sure what you have but I would make a back up of atleast your registry hives.

I don't want to worry you, because you may have a "false-positive", but its better safe than sorry.

Hope that helps you a little.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back