Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus on router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlab

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have a small home network with 3 computers all connecting wirelessly (2 attach to the main router and I have a bridge where the third gets it's boosted signal). When any of the 3 computers connect to my internet connection they all suffer with the Google redirect issue (ie do a Google search, click on a result and it takes you off to Outta Mongolia or ebay.... certainly not where you wanted to go, but if you press 'back' and reselect it works), and yet when I take the laptop and connect to a different internet connection it's fine. I've tested this theory with the 2 workstations (by 'jumping' on someone elses wireless connection) and they too run fine. Is it possible to have an infected router?? Please, please help me... it's driving me nuts.

Yes, routers can be infected but only in the ROM. Turning off the router will clean the ROM. The problem is where the infection comes from, e.g., from a computer.

More likely there is some setting on the router.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I would try setting a static Open DNS like 4.2.2.2 and see if that works. You ISP's DNS server could be infected.

carlab,

If you ever come back to this thread, please give us all an update.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back