Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus on Portable HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcUser

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2001
GB
My portable USB hard disk has a malware/virus and when it is plugged into anything the virus spreads (even if that devices has AV running - its was caught this way) - can anyone suggest a safe method of either removing the virus or getting the files of safely. I need the files. I was thinking using Linux or something - all ideas are welcome..

when it is plugged into anything the virus spreads
Turn off AUTOPLAY first, before you plug in the device, then run multiple scanners on that device, e.g. MBAM, SpyBot, and AV's...

alternatively, DL from the web the DR. WEB LiveCD, it is a Linux based boot CD with an AntiViral solution, which you can then scan the USB device and recover the Data if necessary...

though you must keep in mind that, although Linux can not be infested it can still copy the Virus onto any media you decide to use to back up the data to, if that virus is attached to any of your DATA files...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back