Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtualise SQL server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITOps10

MIS
Nov 18, 2003
GB
We are just starting a VMWare project and I want to look a moving the SQL server to vmware. we have 500 users and about 6 small applications that back on to various SQL servers but I would like to combine these to one vm. Can someone tell me if this is a good idea?

thanks

a quick GOOGLE of the phrase "SQL Server VMWare" returned a number of links of which Moving SQL server to a virtual server with VMware was one which should answer or start to answer your question(s).

Paul
---------------------------------------
Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

I don't think it's a great idea to move production servers to VM. What would happen if you had a major hadware failure? You would loose all your SQL servers. Not to mention the performance issues that could arrise. I do have a few of my test servers on VM and it works very well. But developers are always asking for me resources. It would have to be a serious server to handle 6 VM SQL instances.

- Paul [batman]
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

We have decided to not virtulize our SQL Servers. SQL Server takes so much memory and CPU resources that putting it on a virutal machine would just kill the host machine.

The long term plans at my current company are to end up with three groups of physical machines. SQL Servers, Exchange Servers, and VMWare Servers. Pretty much everything else will be virtual.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back