Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

virtual Xp issue 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenmac

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
CA
I've installed virtual desktop and xp so I can run Winfax Pro. WinFax installed just fine. The issue is the virtual xp doesn't find my modem. I'm usinfg a Toshiba LT and it lists my modem as a Toshiba software modem. Any help would be appreciated.

Glen

In the Settings for the Virtual Machine under Networking is your Modem listed and selected in there as the Adapter number one? You might have to switch adapters as and when you want to use the Modem.

Is 'virtual desktop' an application? I've never heard of it.

Most desktop virtualisation applications - such as VirtualBox or Virtual PC - don't let the virtual machine see most of the real hardware on the host, instead they emulate some fairly generic hardware. For example, no matter what real hardware you have if you set up a virtual machine in Virtual PC 2007 it will think it has a Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 ISA sound card, a DEC 21140A 10/100 network card and a S3 Trio 32/64 PCI video card.

I think the latest version of Windows Virtual PC that runs on Windows 7 can 'pass through' real USB devices to the virtual machine but I'm pretty sure it's not possible to let the VM access non-USB things like modems.

I'm guessing the reason you want to do all this is because you're running Windows 7 and can't find a Win7 driver for the modem, is that right? If so, your only option might be to set your machine up to dual-boot Windows 7 and Windows XP. However that's quite complicated and you'd need two separate OS licences.

Nelviticus

The reason I'm running the vm is because Winfax Pro isn't compatable with Win 7. It installed fine with xp in the vm but doesn't find my modem. Oh well guess I have to give up my favorite fax program as Symantic has stopped supporting it.

Glen

Under Device Manager in Virtual PC what Com ports do you have available? Generally WinModems actually present a hidden, secret Com port - you can map this to one of the normal ports, and then install a generic modem driver to that com port

Even with "Show Hidden Devices" selected? Ah well.

I doubt a softmodem will work, get a cheap usb modem, that should work

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

(Some) softmodems do work quite happily under Virtual XP Mode

Glen, have you tried playing with the Virtual XP Mode settings - you can map one or both of the two fixed COM ports that Virtual PC knows about to any port that Windows 7 knows about (in theory ...)

Er - that's what I said: "... have you tried playing with the Virtual XP Mode settings? [etc]

sorry strongm gave you a star too. the difference was that I tried installing from disk when prompted for modem not using a standard modem. The standard worked.

Glen

>the difference was ... a standard modem

Ah, but in terms of the driver installed in XP Mode itself you just needed to revert to my original post - "then install a generic modem driver to that com port" :)

Glad you've got it working

Win7 Pro 64bitOS
Hi, read this post and tried the solution posted but it doesn't work for me.
My Toshiba Satellite laptop has a Toshiba soft modem on COM3. No other serial ports on laptop. There are several BT ports 6,7 10-14, 20-22 in my device manager. I can't find what those specific things are; nothing is plugged into my USB ports and laptop isn't built-in bluetooth. I was usng a bluetooth mouse and adapter but removed that for this trial.
My Virtual settings for COM1 and Com2 are none. when I attempt to change them to a physical port. The only ones shown are the same ones that are in use in Win7. Choosing any causes an error prompt to display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back