Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stelex

IS-IT--Management
Dec 25, 2006
We have a development environment set up with virtual servers using VMWare.

Lately we have been having difficulties with migrating applications off the development environment onto a non-VMWare test and/or production environment. Since they are all as identical as you can make a livelink environment, could VXMWare be causing the issues? Most of the issues relate to functions working in the VMWare envioronment and not working in the non-VMWare instances.

Most of the issues relate to functions working in the VMWare envioronment and not working in the non-VMWare instances.

Clarify that.If the functionality was written in oscript and ported as a module to the prod server,I would not think there could be any changes.

If the functionality was something else like lapi,search xml api or something else,then your compiling environment does come into play so at a minimunm you would need some kind of staging to prod mechanism to ascertain the playing fields are level.

Or are you up against a too easy devlopment environment facing tougher livelink perms or even different ini file settings etc etc.
VMware we use it on all our dev servers because it is easy and put code into prodn without any problems(i don't particularly do search suff though ]

OT's recommendation is to NOT use VM for any decent production.I don't think seeing anything that said that
a properly configured livelink environment on VMware wouldn't/shouldnt function as a good dev environment.

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937

Can you compare the hardware setup between the VM and the physical to ensure that you are not for example running your VM with 10GB RAM and the physical with 2GB ?

Greg Griffiths
Livelink Certified Developer & ECM Global Star Champion 2005 & 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back