Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

virtual server cannot see ethernet ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkelly13

Programmer
Aug 31, 2006
US
I am ignorant about Microsoft servers, but the guys trying to configure the server have hit a snag and I am trying to dig up some information that may help.
The server is 2008 R2, running 64 bit system. They have installed an earlier server using the virtual system. the utility, IADS by Symvionics, installs and starts up, but the virtual server cannot access any of the network connection. The NIC appears to be made by Broadcom.
Where can I find something that tells how to configure the virtual server so I can communicate?

Thanks for your time.

Time is the medium we use to express our priorities
(Bryan Kelly, 2000)

What HyperVisor are you using?

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

The Hyper V version number is 6.1.7600.16385

(Bryan Kelly, 2000)

pjcarmen,
That is a good article, but I was unable to see anything about the network setup.
I surmise that Integration Services is a required setup. I am at home now but suspect that the guys a work would have done that. If not, I will mention it. If so, what would be the next step.
It should would be helpful if these guys, the only one allowed to have the privileges to set up the system, had the time to work it until its right.

Oh well. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

(Bryan Kelly, 2000)

Yes, installing Integration Services is a required step for the guest OS. Without it, the network connections on the guest OS will not work. I had a similar problem a while back.

If the networking is configured correctly in Hyper-V, and the virtual machine is configured and setup properly, install Integration Services should take care of the problem.

Best of luck to you.

======
"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care."
-Jimmy Buffett

Yes, installing Integration Services is a required step for the guest OS. Without it, the network connections on the guest OS will not work. I had a similar problem a while back.

That depends on the OS and what kind of virtual network adapter you have installed. If you are using the legacy network adapter type then you shouldn't need integration services. Performance won't be as good as with the synthetic drivers, but some situations require it (PXE boot, for example).

Start with standard troubleshooting steps. Inside the VM is there a NIC configured? When you look at the VM configuration in SCVMM or Hyper-V manager does it have a NIC defined? Is it a legacy NIC? Inside the VM is it set for DHCP or static IP? Does it have an IP? What type of virtual network switch is the virtual NIC connected to? If it is not connected to an External type then it will not be able to communicate with anything outside of the physical server.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCTS:Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Resolved

One of the techs responded and said that Integration Services had been overlooked. But before he could look it up, management said that's enough messing around and they loaded a 32 bit server.

That's okay, the application is scheduled to be certified to run under 2008 R2 64 bit OS in June or July so we should be okay.

Still, that was a good call and I thank you for your time and effort.

(Bryan Kelly, 2000)

Well, at least you were able to ID the problem. Best of luck to you.

======
"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care."
-Jimmy Buffett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back