Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

virtual pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokee03

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2009
Has anyone out there every brought a copy of there physical machine into MS Virtual PC.

I am using MS Virtual PC 2007.

Any help would be great.

Michael

There is some information here but there are some complications too.

create vhd from harddisk

You cannot run a Virtual machine within another Virtual Machine, as far as I know, if you were thinking of attempting that later on.

You can have a look at this Newsgroup if you like.

VMWare offers descent tools to convert a physical machine into a virtual machine. Did that before upgrading my XP box to Vista. After adjusting the memory from 2 GB downto 1 GB, it ran, with all software as I was used to. It's used for backup and settings retrieval only.

HTH
TonHu

Acronis True Image Echo Workstation or Server also feature the ability of converting an image it created from a physical machine into a virtual machine for Virtual PC, VMWare, Parallels, or XenServer.

Are any of you guys using firewire 1394 within the VM?

After install XP pro for the VM, my canopus ADVC-55 isnt recognised by the VM.

Can someone please offer some advice

Will

I just wana say a big thank you too all that contributed, I have been reading the replies and found them most helpful.

Michael

Mokee03 - to really show your appreciation for the help of other members you can click on the link that says "Thank xxx for this valuable post" which is at the bottom of the post.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read FAQ690-6594: How to ask the best questions and site policies before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back