Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual PC can't access web page on the "host" PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtnpsi

Programmer
Sep 18, 2002
US
I have two virtual PC instances (both XP Mode) installed on my Win 7 Ultimate "host" PC. Let's call them "VPC A" and "VPC B"...

I use VPC A to exercise web pages under IE6, and VPC B to exercise pages under IE7. The web pages being tested are hosted under IIS 7 running on the host Win 7 PC.

From VPC A, I can open (using IE6) a web page on the host PC.

But from VPC B (using IE7), I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error when I try to open that same page.

It appears to be a network connectivity problem between VPC B and the host PC, but I can't figure out what's causing it.

And (even more puzzling), I can ping the host PC (by name) from VPC B, but I can't ping the host PC from VPC A.

Yes, that's right... I can access the web page on VPC A (but can't ping the host), but I can't access the web page on VPC B (but CAN ping the host). Which makes no sense.

Any ideas how to trouble-shooting network problems between a Virtual PC and its host?

Thanks!

DT

Did you create VPC B by copying VPC A? I can't find the link but I read an article a while ago by a Microsoft bod explaining why that was a bad idea, something to do with duplicate IDs.

If that's the case then try just building a new VPC B from scratch.

Regards

Nelviticus

I found the problem: the Networking setting (under Virtual PC Tools-> Settings) for Adapter 1 on VPC B was set to use the physical network card.

Changing the setting to Shared Networking (NAT) - which is the way that VPC A is configured - fixed the problem. Both VPC A (IE6) and VPC B (IE7) can now access web pages on the host PC.

However, now BOTH VPC A and B can't ping the host PC by name or IP address, although both can access the host over HTTP by name. Strange, but at least I can now test my web pages.

Thanks for the responses!

DT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back