Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual PC 2007 as a web server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmaslach

Programmer
Mar 13, 2008
US
I have a desktop PC that I only use for only data backup. Some of that data is important and I wouldn't want someone stealing it. However, I do want to run a small webserver hosting pictures that my family could see + maybe a little more. I don't want to buy another desktop, so my current solution is to run Virtual PC 2007 and install on the Virtual PC a copy of WindowsXP + Apache. This way, if someone does hack into the machine, they'll hack into the virtual machine, where they'll only get pictures. My only concern is -- if they do hack into the Virtual PC, will they be able to get into the actual PC somehow also? I plan on isolating the Virtual Machine on the network somehow.. However, I'm just not clear what security risks exist if someone does succesfully get access to the Virtual PC... Thanks!

As Virtual PC runs on your host PC's hardware and software, the outside world - including hackers - can only access it through the host PC's hardware and software. So yes, if they can hack into the VPC they can hack into the real machine.

Regards

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back