Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual or Phantom DN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enet

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2002
US
Dudes,

Creating a virtual or phantom extension to assign a target line.

Who has done this and how?

I have tried to create one by using an unused port but it says "not equiped' and the (target)line keeps ringing. Do i need to plug in a phone and then unplug it?

Am I missing something?

E

Here are my notes: I DID NOT THINK THIS UP! I THINK I GOT IT HERE A WHILE BACK.

How to create virtual DN:
Assign a target line to a hunt group (707) then make the first port of the voicemail the only member of the hunt group. Then create mailbox 707 and assign it to extension 707. The target line rings the group, which rings the voicemail. The voicemail sees the mailbox attached to the group and plays the personal greeting. This isan either or situation. Either the calls automatically forward outside the system or thecall goes straight to the mailbox. If you choose the second scenario and have a NAM voicemail you can do an outbound transfer from the mailbox. The person would record their personal greeting saying, "Hi this is Pietro, leave me a message after the tone or press 7 to be transferred to my cell phone." If you can dedicate an old set hang it in the phone room and assign answer keys of your phantom DNs to this phone. The number of answer keys your system can assign is based on the software release and version. Program the phantoms like real phones. Because the phones now have an appearance in the system they will work steadily. THIS WILL WORK BUT THE INCOMING DIGITS MUST MATCH THE MAILBOX DIGITS, IN OTHER WORDS, IF YOU HAVE 4 DIGITS INCOMING YOUR MAILBOX HAS TO BE 4 DIGITS.

Line Programming:
1. Build a Target line, example: 145
2. Enter customer received digits, example: 4598
3. Prime Set: None
Hunt Group Programming:
4. Select a Hunt Group number (1-30)
5. Accept the default Hunt Group Extension that is associated with the Hunt Group number or make a new one.
6. Add a Member DN to be that of the NAM Voicemail DN.
7. Under Line Assignment, assign the Target Line to the
Hunt Group.
8. Shorten the Time Out Queue to be the lowest, 15 seconds (default = 60)
9. Make the Overflow extension to be the NAM Voicemail DN.
Mailbox Programming:
10. ADD a guest mailbox
11. Make the Extension of the mailbox to be the Hunt
Group Extension

Express messaging in Call Pilot 100/150 and BCM 3.0+
Create a mailbox.
In express messaging field enter the target line number not the DID number.
All calls to this target line will terminate in this mailbox.

This hunt group solution has been in place for several years at one location and works perfectly.

NARSBARS

ENET, what are you wanting to do with the pseudo set with target line. There are all kinds of work-arounds if we know what your final goal is. Might be something FUN.

MarvO said it

Hi Marv0,

I am trying to not have a telephone set for each DID line that i forward to a fax server. I forward via a VMI ok with a physical set but heard that it may be possible to have a 'virtual' or 'phantom' extension. I am thniking now that the Norstar will not let it happen this way.

E

As far I know, unless you have a BCM, then all DID lines need a physical phone to answer it before it goes to v/m.

bigcat919, not true if you use the express messaging assignments, but that won't work for Enet's needs.

MarvO said it

enet -
did you ever figure this out??

I'm trying to hook up a Fax Finder from MultiTech; same idea... we got a VMI, and I was travelling down the same path (fwding virtual numbers), but I'm stuck...

You get anywhere with this one?

Thanks,

Jon

I definitively ruled out forwarding a virtual set but you are able to transfer from a virtual set.
This is useful to add virtual extensions that will ring and transfer to voice mail.
I have not tested an ASM as the physical set to dtmf yet. Has anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back