Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'Virtual' Network mapping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEKcisco

Technical User
Dec 22, 2005
US
I recently moved into an apartment, and to cut down on internet/cable cost, my roommate's upstairs friends are allowing us to use their internet/cable (25/25/25/25 split cost-wise). I use Network magic to connect to the wireless router, and have found that there are a lot of devices connected to that one router. I am wondering if others in our apartment are stealing our bandwidth and not paying for it since the connection is not encrypted (I don't think my roommates friends want it encrypted either).

I was going to ask them if they know what devices are connected to their router, but I wanted to see if I could determine if someone else is using our bandwidth and not paying for it first (since I believe my roommate's friends don't have as good of a background knowledge as I do; and mine is, let's say, not up to par)

So, I was wondering if there are some tools that would allow me to determine who is using the router? Whether it be a 3D network map, a list of devices and their angles? distance? or something else relative to the router?

Is there something a lot easier than what I am suggesting?

Go onto the device and look to see what MAC addresses are connected, then comapre with your and your friends devices.
(CMD prompt, ipconfig /all)

Personally I think they are foolish for not locking down the router. If someone is doing something illegal, it's their front door the police will kick down and it will be their pc's they search, whilst they sit in a prison cell.

Unfortunatly, if you leave things wide open to abuse, people will help themselves.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

I agree that it's foolish to share cost on a wide-open wireless connection that anyone within range can (and will) hop onto. WPA or WPA 2, offers fairly secure encryption with a simple PSK for access. That being said, IP Scan and other free scanning tools can assist in finding others on the network, though the most direct is to look at the connection log in the router as Sympology suggested.

NCSS NCTS NCTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back