Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

stranchina

Technical User
Jul 7, 2003
US
In systems properties of Win/98, I keep getting a low virtual memory low flag.
When I go into the virtual memory area, I have the check mark in the area that stipulates the Windows will handle the virtual memory automatically.
If win/98 is handleing it, why do I get the flags the the virtual memory is low.
Any suggestions,
Thanks,

It's tough to say based on just the information you gave. Take a look at this FAQ for some ideas:

faq615-3144

There are also a ton of others you can take a look at by clicking the FAQ tab up above.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

The first thing to check, since Windows is handling the virtual memory, is disk space. Is your drive almost full, like less then 10% free? That is probably it.

If it is, AND you have another hard drive with space, either move some stuff onto the other drive or move the swap file onto the other drive.

It will be much easier to move regular files over there. Got any music files? Or video? Move them, they are probably pretty big.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Something else you can try, boot to dos, delete c:\windows\win386.swp and reboot. Windows will build a new swap file.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back