Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

konsri

Programmer
Feb 1, 2002
US
There is a function in windows called VirtualAlloc. This will alloc the memory on the swap file and automatically do the swapping when necessary. Is there any substitute in UNIX platforms.

Thanks
Srikanth

Solaris aat least uses a /tmp mount point in a similar fashion I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Srikanth,

My understanding is that Unix will do this for you whenever you allocate memory in the usual way, all memory is virtual memory in Unix. Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

When you type top at the command line,you'll see your memory and your virual memory (all the space left on your harddisk). My experience is that once you ran out of ram,linux starts using virual memory,automatically. The Muppeteer.

themuppeteer@hotmail.com

Don't eat yellow snow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back