Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

hag99

Technical User
Nov 8, 2003
US
I have a program that works terrific (usein clipper 52e Blinker 7 and fivewin 1.92) It eats up virtual memory in Windows xp How can this be fixed???

Did you apply all proper fixes to Clipper to have it 'beheave' properly on NT-like OS'es, so the keyboard-loop problem gets fixed, as well as the garbage collector gets being called often enough?

HTH
TonHu

TonHu
Thanks for the quick response.
I don't know about the clipper fixes. Using 52e. Can you let me know where they are and how to get them. Need the info. I'am always having a virtual mem problem. Have many users of my program. See it on Thanks again.

Harvey

Hm, the fact that it runs on XP (> 600 MHz CPU?), and using Blinker 7 suggests the proper fixes & XP-'compatibility' are applied, either by Blinker or maybe even by adding extra .obj or .lib files.
Did it work properly on previous Windows releases, or didn't you notice the VM-loss there? ProcessExplorer from should be able to help finding that out.

OTOH updating FW with the latest patches can also help in resolving this matter, but I don't use FW myself.

The Clipper patches I got from (Computer Associates Int.) the owners of Clipper AFAIK. But I got those while they where hot (about 10 years ago...) fixed my clipper.lib, and never worried about that.

Lately I've been testing xHarbour from (which requires an updated FW (=FWH) anyway), and I'm getting very good results from that, even though my apps aren't currently officially supported any longer ;-)
It generates real 32bit applications, that don't require 'patching' to run proper in an XP environment.

HTH
TonHu

TonHu
Thanks again for the response. Still have my problem. Writing to Blinker to see what they can come up with.

I'd certainly like to convert to 32 bits. I looked at xharbour but fount it to difficult for me. I'm a novice programer. My occupation is a CPA and I run one of the largest accounting firms in LA. I have about 135prgs in the program and FW interface. Need to convert to FWH then xHarbour. Toooooo much trouble. Any interest in helping. Any experience with FW. Not very hard to use. It saved my life and a rewrite from Clipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back