Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

virtual memory page size too low message frequently????

Status
Not open for further replies.

priyankaj

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2003
IN
help needed. i frequently get the message " virtual memory page size low and windows in in creasing the size of virtual memory"
where do i look up the virtual memory size and should manually increase it?

Priyanka

See if anything here helps?

308417 - HOW TO: Set Performance Options in Windows XP

How to Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP (Q314482)

315351 - Error Message When You Start Windows: Your System Is Low on Virtual Memory

Virtual Memory Error Message When You Shut Down the Computer

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Performance.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Change under Virtual memory.
Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, type a new paging file size in megabytes (MB) in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.

i have 256 MB of RAMof which 32 MB is being used by visual graphics adapter..rite ow i have changed the setting to system decided paging size....i wish to know...if i set t manually how much should i ideally set it to? i have 256 MB rAM,40 GN harddisc, pentium 4
Priyanka

Should be 12 mb on top of the installed ram. So your virtual memory would be 268Mb. I usually add about 100 on top if you have plenty of hard disk space and that seems to solve all my problems.

If you have plenty of hard drive space, then make the virtual memory a GB or so.

If possible, upgrade your RAM however - 256 is not really enough for a WinXP system with any real world usage, although it will boot with it (and hence suppliers sell them!).

Adding another 512mb should only be about £50 +VAT (or even +256mb if you're strapped fopr cash), and you'll notice a huge difference.

Jonathan Challis
IT Manager

A good rule of thumb, with plenty of hard drive space, is 1 1\2 times to 2 times the amount of ram. This in your case would be a base of 384 and a max of 512. But adjust to your preference.

Cliff, CCNA/MCSE/MCSA 2000
Network Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back