Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual Memory Error !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

essa2000

Programmer
Dec 6, 2000
CA

Dears ;

We have developed a distributed application using SQL Server 2000 , VB 6.0 and MTS. Now , application has gone live and more than 15 users are using this application at client site.

Now , problem is that sometime application gives Virtual Memory Error and a message box shown during the running application ; which says that your system is working on low memory and your task would not be completed. It is not on regular basis but occasionally.

We used Stored Procedures to access database and use disconnected Recordsets. Now , I am failed to find out the reasons and client is complaining for this error. Please , help me if someone have idea.

Muhammad Essa Mughal
Software Engineer
essamughal@yahoo.com

dear essa
i think the problem u r facing is due to OS just updat the lates service pack of Win2k ,the latest one is 2.0
there is an exe which actually runs the COM+ objects u have to watch out for the multiple instance of that exe when u run the application i don't have in my mind now that .exe name but u can see it in the TASK Manager when u run the applicatio
hope it will help u out
Regards
numan

How much data is in these disconnected recordsets?
Where is the virtual memory error happing
Client Machine, Apps Server, SQL Server

The application that runs com components under MTS is MTX.EXE
There will be one of these processes for every package you have running on your machine.

But I don't think thats your problem but without more info I can't really say.

So .... More info please 8)

Remember Client side recordsets (which Disconnected Recordsets are) can use up A LOT of memory if they have a large result set or that resultset returns images or large amounts of text.

Dear SemperFiDownUndo;

Your this para can be a case for me b/c we have used lot of disconnected recordset in our application. Even we only use disconnected recordset.

"Remember Client side recordsets (which Disconnected Recordsets are) can use up A LOT of memory if they have a large result set or that resultset returns images or large amounts of text."

So , I'll check this area b/c as the time goes the amount of data is increased and this can be a problem.

Muhammad Essa Mughal
Software Engineer
essamughal@yahoo.com

If u set the virtual memory manually, u can alter that property. To do this go to My Computer in desktop and right click it. Select the properties of My Computer, you
will be getting a separate window , there u can see the
performance tab. Click the performance tab and select the
virtual memory button. If the virtual memory setting is in manual option, u can increase the memory size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back