Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual lab for training

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianvasile

Technical User
Apr 3, 2006
US
I am planning on building a virtual "lab" for my users where they can learn and experminet with Vista and office 2007. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on what will be the best way to do this. I can probably use both version of the free software - Microsoft or VmWare.
Thank you.

Yes but be careful with regards to licensing the OS and Applications.

A lot of training providers use Virtual PC and Server for training purposes, they leave each VM in a state thats to be used for that specific set of lessons rather than having a single VM for the entire training course (you perhaps don't want to have users making any config changes that are needed for training.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Licensing will not be a problem. How will i do it though? i already have the infrastructure with Virtual Server but i have few machines which i don't want my users to be able to access them. How will I go about that?
With Virtual Server all machines are ussualy listed and available.

Different network segments.

Simon

Even if you do that the machines will still be available when using Administration Console - the only effect is that they will not be able to talk to each other.
However, I just found out that by setting the File Access permission on the physical files (.vmc, .vhd) the user will not be able to see those machine. So a simple Deny all will deny that user access and will not even tshow the machine.
It works now.
thank you for your help.

Glad you got things sorted.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back